The Golden Visa – What is it?
The Golden Visa Programme launched by the Portuguese Authorities in October 2012 is a fast track for foreigners from non – EU countries to obtain a fully valid residency permit in Portugal (Golden Visa)
Under the Golden Visa programme, non-EU citizens simply need to carry out one of the investments set out in the law to qualify to obtain a residency permit in Portugal. This residency permit will allow the investor to enter and/or live in Portugal and to travel freely within the vast majority of European countries (Schengen space).
Aimed at attracting foreign investment to Portugal, the Golden Visa is a very straight forward and flexible programme, with simple and clear legal requirements. With extremely reduced minimum stay requirements, the Golden Visa is clearly one of the most attractive residency programs for investors in the worlds.
For high profile non-European Union Citizens who wish to have a residence permit in Europe and move freely within the Schengen Area.
Through an ‘investment’ carried out, personally or through a Portuguese company, that leads to the fulfilment of one (1) of the following conditions in Portugal:
- Creation of at least 10 jobs
- Acquisition of real estate with a value of at least €500, 000
- Capital transfer of at least €1 Million
Creation of at least 10 jobs: Through recruitment of:
- Own staff: or
- Staff through a temporary work agency
Acquisition of real estate with a value of at least €500, 000: Investment by an individual or Portuguese company, through the acquisition of one or more properties with the total value equal or above €500,00, which can be accomplished as follows:
- Residential or commercial property
- Can be held in co-property
- A purchase and sale promissory agreement is acceptable
Capital transfer of at least €1Million: Transfer of funds of at least 1 million to be invested in:
- Bank deposit
- Portuguese Stock Market Shares: and
Duration of the Residence Permit
The ‘investment’ must be kept for a period of 5 years. After the 6th year the investor can apply for citizenship and obtain a Portuguese Passport.
Minimum length of stay of the individual in Portugal:
- 7 Days in the first year:
- 14 Days in the subsequent period of two years (five years in total)
New Routes of Investment:
Portugal has introduces new rules under the Golden Visa Program, which will be in force soon:
- Investment in culture and scientific investigation: Investments of, at least, €350, 000 or more in areas such as culture and scientific investigation will now grant the Golden Visa
- Rebuilding/Renewal of urban properties. Purchase of property, and rebuilding/renewal costs, equal or above, €500,000.
- Investment in less favoured regions. Investments in territories with low population density (less than 100,000 habitants per km2 or with a GDP inferior to 75% of the national average), will be subject to a reduction of 20% of the minimum value for property investment.
- 28th Country on the Better Life and Safety OEDC Index;
- One of the best countries in the EU in terms of weather and environmental equality (17th country on the OECD Index – ahead of countries like Austria an or the Netherlands)
- Modern and cosmopolitan cities
- 278 Daily flights from Portugal to the World
- Top conditions for sport (golf, sailing, diving, biking, walking, horse riding etc)
- Inexpensive living cost, and
- High quality health system
Please Contact Us for further information.